15th February 1940 was the day that ATA finally began ferrying aircraft as an independent civilian organisation from its new headquarters airfield at White Waltham just outside Maidenhead. This was now home to ATA’s No.1 Ferry Pool staffed by a motley bunch of “ancient and tattered airmen”. For the next year the airfield was shared with RAF Elementary Flying Training School 13, which caused a degree of conflict. ATA’s operations were based in a little wooden hut built at the end of one of the RAF hangars (above).
One of the first pilots based at White Waltham was Graham Head, who had joined ATA right at the start of the war. His diary entries around that time are reproduced here. He didn’t actually fly until 24 February due to poor weather.